The Redeemed Christian Church of God
The Throne of Grace (National Headquarters)
1-9 Redemption Way, Ebute-Metta, Lagos.
Topic: A Passion for Souls with Compassion for People.
TEXT: Matthew 9:36-38
Why do we emphasis so much on soul wining, why do we mobilize people to reach out to others that are unsaved? The answer is compassion. Compassion is different from pity. Pity is purely an emotion; compassion compels action.
• If you see a person in the church with a financial need and say, “I feel sorry for him. He doesn’t have any money to pay his bills”, that’s a PITY. But if, as you say that, you give him Money, then you’ve shown COMPASSION.
GOD didn’t simply have pity on this world lost in sin. He sent His only son to die for our sins. John 3:16.
A. JESUS ATTITUDES TOWARDS PEOPLE
I. First Is The Word Visualize – Matt 9:36a “But when he saw the multitudes…” John 4:35. Every single individual in that population total represents a human soul who will spend eternity either in heaven or hell.
Can you visualize billions walking down the wide road that leads to destruction? John 4:35
Ii. The Next Word Is The Word Tenderize – Matt 9:36 , “…he was moved with compassion on them…” Jesus was ever broken for the lost around Him. We’re so caught up in this world that we don’t see what Jesus saw.
Iii. The Third Word Is Analyze – Matt 9:36 “…as sheep having no shepherd.” Isaiah 53:6a. That’s the condition of THE LOST without Christ.
B. THREE THINGS TO DO FOR THE UNSAVED
I. First, Pray For Them – Agonize Through Prayer Matt 9:38 “Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest…”
You need to pray for the unsaved and those that are reaching out.
Ii. Participate By Going – Evangelize By Going. Mk 16:15, Matt 9:38
EVERY BELIEVER is to evangelize. The only difference between you and a foreign missionary is the distance you have to go to evangelize.
Iii. Empower Others To Go. Mark 16:15. 2 Corinthians 8-9
When you have a part in missionary giving, the fruit of the labor of the missionary can abound to your account! What a glorious thought!
Developing A Compassion That Reflects The Heart Of God
1. Develop a kingdom mindset — Romans 15:20
2. Daily Look at life with an eternal perspective – Romans 9:3
3. Daily Remember who you are — Romans 5:10
4. Develop An Imitation Of The compassion of Christ — Luke 19:41–42.
C. WHY DO WE NEED TO HAVE PASSION FOR SOULS Luke 19:1-5
• People are hurting. Mark 6:34
• They cannot reach God by their efforts. Romans 9:16
• Jesus Love the lost people and want them to be saved Matthew 9:36-38
CONCLUSION: Beloved, let’s not simply have pity for this wretched, lost world. Let’s have true COMPASSION. The kind that compels us: to AGONIZE for them through prayer;…to EVANGELIZE by going ourselves if we can;…and if we cannot go ourselves, DEPUTIZE others to go in our place by giving to missions.